Monday, December 5, 2011

12-Books-in-12-Months Challenge - A book you have re-read more than once...and just read again

Book: The Holy Terrors (Les Enfant Teribles) by Jean Cocteau


It's basically the story of a brother and sister and their bystander of a friend and their adventures playing "The Game". The heat of youth that cannot sustain itself in anyway except to end in tragedy. And knowing Cocteau thus become the thing that inspires poetry.

Supposedly Jean Cocteau listened to the soundtrack from Carousel over and over while writing this. There is something a little manic and circular about the book so I tend to believe it. I read this book over and over during high school and college and even after. A friend of mine in college and I wanted to shoplift fish tanks and make young children cry in restaurants as a result of it. We'd ask each each other if we were "going away".

Rereading it now much older it's no longer strikes me as a book of madcap adventure and romantic tragedy. It left me a little depressed, a little nostalgic and rather happy that I'm older now. Which in the end I suppose is a good thing. Especially since it means I'm less likely to try to frighten children in restaurants.

I hope that you, too, will join the 12 Books in 12 Months challenge. Details are on Armchair Squid where you can also read up on what he's been reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment