Saturday, April 7, 2012

A to Z Blogging Challenge - G is for Greene


Graham Greene was always one of those authors I felt I should read but took a long time to get around to. I knew him mainly from the film The Third Man. Finally one day when we were traveling and looking for additional reading material we ended up buying the only Graham Greene available which was Travels with My Aunt. I'm not sure it's really the best one to go with if you've never read any Greene before.

It is an unusual book for me in that, now, almost 9 years since I read it, I'm still mad about the ending. I'm not mad at the author, what he wrote was true to the character. I'm mad at the main character for making the decision he did. I'm not sure I've ever been so disappointed in the actions of main character. Up until the very end, at least for me, I could see him going either way and I really thought he was going to go in A direction but he ended up going in B. That's relatively rare for me in reading. Usually characters, for the most part, are set on their paths and while you not even be able to predict anything about their actions in retrospect it usually is on the path.

 I have read more of the traditional Greene novels since - The Quiet American, which you should read if you haven't, Our Man in Havana, quite hilarious and The End of the Affair. They're all quite wonderful and really diverse in their stories.

This post is part of the A to Z Blogging Challenge, it's not too late for you to sign up and let me see how you handle the letter Q.



3 comments:

  1. It's so frustrating when a character makes a decision like that. I've never read a book by Greene--I'll have to look up the titles you mentioned.

    Thank you for coming by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you about the ending - but you knew that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never read anything of his. But I like hiking! I'm trying to visit all the A-Z Challenge blogs this month.

    ReplyDelete