Tuesday, April 10, 2012

A to Z Blogging Challenge - I is for Ionesco




Eugene Ionesco was my introduction to the Theater of the Absurd. Plays that ridicule authoritarian figures and turn the world on its head exposing the meaningless of existence. Which sounds like a real downer but his plays are very funny at the same time. I highly recommend all 4 plays listed on the cover above.

The Bald Soprano is perhaps my favorite. Ionesco was inspired to write it after trying to learn English through an "assimilation" method that Ionesco felt rendered the language meaningless. The play pokes fun at the meaninglessness of language and the common routines of life.

In many ways Ionesco was my introduction to existentialism, Surrealism and Dadaism all in one fell swoop.

This post is part of the A to Z Blogging Challenge. You can check out some of the other participants through the link or here's a couple I've been following -

Chauceriangirl

Yes, This Will Be on the Test

2 comments:

  1. Hey, great post!! Nice blog and set up!! Keep up the good work!!! You are invited to check out or follow my blog anytime!! Have a great day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I am reading some really interesting and different things on this journey of challenges. Yours is quite excellent. Come and see me, too. When you can, that is. Best regards to you. Ruby

    ReplyDelete