Monday, April 16, 2012

A to Z Blogging Challenge - N is for Nabokov

As if N could be for anything else.


Once you get past the fact that Humbert Humbert basically married a woman so he could be with her underage daughter, Lolita is really a good book. It's a love letter that Nabokov wrote to America. As only a peculiar Russian could write. I spent a summer reading Nabokov and fell in love with his use of language.

However, I'm not certain I fully appreciated his use of language until one summer when the hubby and I listened to Lolita read by Jeremy Irons while we went back and forth from NYC to Pennsylvania. As unsettling as some passages are, the book really shines when read aloud. I think because we were driving through America the passage of Humbert Humbert and Lolita driving around rang true. To this day, when I see a non chain motel on the side of the road, I think of the book. Which may or  may not be a good thing.

This post is part of the A to Z Challenge. Please click through and check out some other great blogs including Empty White Pages.

1 comment:

  1. The Nab is awesome. I recently watched the 1961 movie version, which would have been much better without Peter Sellers.

    ReplyDelete