Tuesday, April 17, 2012

A to Z Blogging Challenge - O is for O'Connor



I have a love of Southern Gothic writers. Well I like Southern writers whose prose drips with the heat and indolence of what I picture the south being like. I also love short stories. The husband says all short stories are about death and thus doesn't have much patience for them. I, however, couldn't care less if the all are, death takes many shapes and forms.

Flannery O'Connor wrote 32 short stories and 2 novels. Her stories have Christian themes and often deal with the issues of the day from the Holocaust to racial integration. Her stories are also wonderfully sardonic as her characters speed to their fate that they don't see coming.

Since this is O I'd also like to a wonderful blog that is publishing George Orwell's diaries from 1938-1942 as blog posts - The Orwell Diaries.

This blog post is part of the A to Z Blogging Challenge. Click through to see what other bloggers are doing like Courtney Pearson's SketchBlog where she's doing Legos for the alphabet.

2 comments:

  1. Short stories are usually gloomy, but they are quite dramatic and send a message. I've always liked Edgar Allen Poe.

    Thanks for following my blog!

    Monti

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both great authors to read. I loved Arthur C. Clarke's short stories.

    ReplyDelete