Thursday, April 26, 2012

A to Z Blogging Challenge - W is for Wodehouse


Certain books I don't read while in public. It's not that I'm embarrassed by them. It's that they are very funny. It's one thing to be reading a book where you burst out laughing and someone asks you "What so funny?" and you can read them the paragraph that made you laugh and they will laugh, too. However, these certain books, have a fatal flaw. When I burst out laughing while reading Wodehouse and you ask me, "What's so funny?" I could read you the paragraph that made me laugh but it wouldn't make you laugh. Really for you to laugh I would have to go back 20 pages and read you all 20 so you could see the build up to the punchline.

Bertie Wooster gets involved in rather convoluted and intricate situations, occasionally made more twisted by a vengeful Jeeves, that it's really quite impossible to explain it to someone not reading the story as well. However, this will not prevent you from laughing out loud even if it causes questioning looks from those around you.

This post is part of the A to Z Blogging Challenge. I encourage you to click through and explore some of the links to what other bloggers are doing.

2 comments:

  1. Yes, this is how I feel about Douglas Adams.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read Wodehouse for the first time last year and loved him!

    ReplyDelete