Saturday, April 28, 2012

A to Z Blogging Challenge - Y is for pYnchon

P was already pretty full but I couldn't leave Pynchon out of the list.


 The second to last of authors who have books that could stun an ox. I try to read a big book every summer. Pynchon has been a summer read for me quite a few times starting with Mason & Dixon. I fell in love with his ability to create a complete world that is close to ours but yet not quite. I like encountering the anachronisms and flights of fancy. I have to block off chunks of time to read Pynchon to give me a chance to immerse myself in the prose.

Recently I read The Age of Wonder by Richard Holmes. In it he talks about Nevil Maskelyne who was one of my favorite minor characters in Mason & Dixon. To be honest, I had no idea he was a real person until I read Holmes' book.

This post is part of the A to Z Blogging Challenge. I encourage you to click through and explore some of the links to what other bloggers are doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment