Monday, April 30, 2012

A to Z Blogging Challenge - Z is for BalZac

And now we come to the end.


Honoré de Balzac was one of the founders of the realism movement in Europe. Which is why it took me a long to get around to reading him. I still have nightmares from my experience reading Tale of Two Cities by Dickens in high school. I found realism tedious and eye roll inducing. Someday I will give Dickens another try but until then I have Balzac.

The first book I read was Lost Illusions just as I was beginning a job that brought me back to magazine publishing. It was good timing. It tells the story of Lucien Chardon as he moves from the provinces to Paris to try to make it as a poet and then eventually falls into journalism and then disgrace.

I hope you've enjoyed the A to Z Blogging Challenge. It's been an interesting experience for me. It's been a good past time while waiting for hiking season.

3 comments:

  1. Hi there! I vowed that I would visit all the bloggers who participated in the A to Z blog and here I am keeping my promise...;0)

    Lovely blog...good luck with the rest of the year!

    Donna L Martin
    www.donasdays.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really happy you enjoyed the challenge :) See you around!

    Roadtrip: On my way from A all the way to Z!
    English Speaking Zone

    ReplyDelete