Sunday, April 28, 2013

Review Pickwick Papers Vol. 1 Chapters 6-8



This installment involved stubborn horses, the charming maidens of the Wardle family, intrigue and cricket. Frankly this book does nothing to dissuade me that cricket isn't all about the drinking salmon.

The Pickwickians set off for Dingley Dell to visit the Wardle family. While there they hook back up with the scoundrel Mr. Jingle and attend a cricket match, later scandalizing the ladies when they arrive home late and very drunk, er, I mean suffering from the effects of the salmon. Mr. Jingle sets out to steal the heart of the spinster Rachel Wardle from Mr. Tupman.

It did strike me as I reading the installment that the Pickwickians could use a Jeeves to keep them out of the trouble. Although one Bertie Wooster is probably enough to handle, I'm sure Jeeves could handle three Pickwickians.

No comments:

Post a Comment