Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Summer Book Swap - Book 1

Is this thing still on? Going back and forth about the blog but Summer Book Swap has me dust things off.

After reading about a book swap party here Book Swap Party

I've been wanting to figure out how to do one as well. So with summer approaching I suggested we do one in the family for summer reading. So 2 days before end of school for The Girl we gathered around each of us with 2 possibilities for each other and tried to sell our books.

For The Husband, I suggested either Heat by Bill Buford with back up of 1913: The Year Before the Storm by Florian Illies. For The Girl, I suggested The Dark is Rising by Susan Cooper with back up of Jennifer, Hecate, MacBeth, William McKinley and Me, Elizabeth by E. L, Konigsburg (why are her titles always so long?). I was able to sell Heat to the hubby but the girl went with the back up.


From The Husband, I was sold on The Soul of Baseball, A Road Trip Through Buck O'Neil's America by Joe Posnanski. His back up was Paper Lion by George Plimpton.

Overall I gave this book 3 stars, Goodreads doesn't allow half stars or I'd up it to 3 1/2. It was a quick, easy read with touching stories from Buck's life as well as the author witnessing him reaching out to people to keep the flame of The Negro Leagues alive as well as the soul of baseball. Joe Posnanski is obviously in love with his subject, a love that I think kind of clouded over some potential rough spots in the process. Some of the issues do come out in comments from other Negro League players. As for what Buck O'Neil really truly thought and experienced in his time, it's carefully painted over by Buck O'Neil himself in the attempt to present the view of what Buck O'Neil would like history to take from that time in history.





6 comments:

  1. Well, of course I have books that could give you more of the history...

    What I enjoyed about the book was simply the intimate view of Buck O'Neil himself - clearly a magical person to be around. And as I said to you, I think his storyteller's voice is just amazing. You have a good point regarding Posnanski being in love with his subject. Still, it's such a pleasant read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do agree it was a pleasant read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi-ya, Mrs. Squid. I wandered over from your hubby's blog. I love the whole idea of your family swapping books. When our kids were in their teens and early twenties, we frequently exchanged favorite books (and music) to help us understand each other, if that makes sense. My hubby isn't a huge reader, so he opted out of the whole thing. (His loss!)

    Nice to meet you. Count me in as your newest groupie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too wandered over from Mr. Squids blog.
    I adore the idea of a family book swap. So clever.
    My family was always reading books but we never "swapped" we would just say "here read this" or several of us would just wait for one to finish a book.
    I use to read about three book at a time, but for the last few years it takes me such a long time to read. (another eye surgery coming up).
    I too like Susan will be dropping by.

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Armchair Squid sent me. I cannot resist the name Joe Posnanski. I shall follow you.

    Love,
    Janie Junebug, The Queen of Grammar

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great idea to do a family book swap! Maybe we'll borrow that one... This one sounds like a tender recollection. It's sweetly sad that he had to attempt to smooth over some of the rough spots to keep his recollection pristine.

    ReplyDelete