Sunday, July 13, 2014

Summer Book Swap - Book 2

The Girl is a big Miyazaki fan and also as a result has come to love some of the source material from his movies. One of her favorite movies is Howl's Moving Castle which is based on a book by Diana Wynne Jones. The book is of course a little different than the movie but very good and introduced to the writings of Wynne Jones which The Girl has been devouring of late.

When it came time for the book swap The Girl felt it was time I read the follow up to Howl's Moving Castle - Castle in the Air. She felt it was actually a better book than the first.



I'm not sure I entirely agree. They're both very different stories. And the 2nd book isn't really a sequel as much as a story with guest appearances.

It tells the story of Abdullah, a young carpet merchant, who daydreams he's a stolen prince. One day a man comes and sells him a magic carpet and suddenly he finds his dreams coming true in rather unexpected ways.

I really enjoyed this. It was a nice twist on the get a magic carpet and a genie trope. Characters from the previous book were well used. I finished this book around the time we saw Frozen and the princesses in this books were a lot cooler than either of the ones in that movie. Really it just ended up highlighting why I dislike Disney movies. But the book was well chosen on The Girl's part and we're both looking forward to reading the 3 book in the group as well as other Wynne Jones books.

3 comments:

  1. I have read "Howls Moving Castle" and loved it. I can see why and how Miyazaki changed the story. I did not feel upset with his adaption at all.
    I like the movie "Castles in The Air" much better than the book In fact I started but never finished.
    I enjoy many of the early Disney movies from my childhood. But the whole Princess or Barbie culture is not for me.
    I don't think Frozen will hold up. Good for a summer, I guess.
    Right now I am reading "The Big Burn"
    Teddy Roosevelt and the Fire That Saved America,
    Fabulous, but I can only read in short bursts.

    Can not wait to see the next book choice.
    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think there's a movie version of Castle in the Air. There's a Miyazaki film called Castle in the Sky but that's not related.

    I thought the Howl movie was good. Doesn't cover all of the book but I don't expect a movie to do that.

    ReplyDelete